Mar 20, 2014

My Favourite Bag Pattern Ever!

Yesterday I had a little nudge from a dear friend, asking my why she hadn't received any blog posts arriving to her in box lately. I decided that she was absolutely right! Time to share a few more pictures. Well, ok, a lot of pictures in this post!  It's not that I haven't been creating, I sure have! However, I have also been busy doing other things. Like, a trip to Florida with my entire family! All 10 of us made the trek from our snowy homes to visit the Sunshine State. To say it was delightful would be such an understatement. We had so much fun swimming, visiting with Mickey Mouse and just plain hanging out together. I really love  having time when we can all just catch up with each other and few responsibilities come between us all. We played all day, and at night we cooked together and sat up chatting on the couch while having many good laughs. I really hope we can all do it again someday soon.

While I was away, I tortured my poor husband by insisting he drive me all over to various fabric and craft stores. He did so willingly, so I have to add his patience with me to the list of reasons why he truly is the best guy ever : ) I wanted to get some unique fabrics to create a diaper bag for my nephew who is arriving in May. Just before we left on our trip, I had an order for a diaper bag made from a new pattern. Well, I have to tell you that it is by far one of my favourite patterns ever! Just the perfect combination of form and function, with several sweet little features added in. The outside pockets have a nice little dart that gives them structure and shape. The pattern also allows for the combination of many coordinating fabrics, which is one of my absolute favourite things to do. I actually get very excited to create the bag as I purchase the fabric. I can just see it all coming together in my mind's eye and can hardly wait to get sewing. I also used a bit of Decor Bond, which is a product by Pellon. It gives the bag a nice amount of structure, and will also assist in providing durability for a heavily used tote such as a diaper bag. I purchased the pattern for this bag on Etsy. If you would like to make one yourself, here is the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/115389267/diaper-bag-pattern-pn408-millie-nappy?ref=shop_home_active_1. The pattern was a delight to work with, and included very precise directions. The shop SusieDDesigns is full of many PDF patterns that might tickle your fancy should you want to spend a bit of time with your own sewing machine.

This order was for a little girl. The family hasn't chosen a name, so they requested that their last name be added to the front. Pink and black are so striking as a couple, don't you think?


This diaper bag can add more than just cuteness to its list of impressive features. In addition to the two generous exterior pockets, there are three deep pockets lining the back of the tote. Wide, polka dot (of course!) handles will be able to withstand plenty of use. Pretty, functional and durable - a great combo! Here are a few more pictures to let you get a feeling for how all of the coordinating fabrics match up with this bag.  I just happened to have some matching flannel so I whipped up a few burp cloths for the new baby as well. That "S" on the burp cloths? Well, that is another little gem I made with my new Scan and Cut. For my nephew's bag, I have chosen grey, lime green, cobalt blue, and hints of orange. I am just waiting on confirmation of his name before I go ahead and start. I'll just have to be patient I guess! 







Soon I will share another bag that I recently made. Coincidentally, it is also pink and black. It was made as part of a blanket/bib/bag combo to welcome a sweet new baby girl. Have a happy day!


4 comments:

  1. You have really outdone yourself! Really pretty and so well made. Well done. Keep up the posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lavinia! It was so much fun to make. I can't wait to get working on the next one. : )

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing the bag you made from my pattern, the Millie Nappy Bag. I love the bag, it's fantastic. So well made and the fabrics are just gorgeous. I'm so pleased you found this pattern enjoyable and easy to use and look forward to seeing more of you wonderful makes.
    Susie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie! I have all the fabrics laid out on my sewing table to create my next bag. I just signed up to follow your blog - looking forward to keeping updated on your wonderful patterns and creations.

      Delete